Tuesday, June 11, 2019

D2

Evaluate the flow of programme content and audio levels.

In my pre-recorded radio segment, I would say that the order in which I placed my three interviews was successful as it helped the audience understand the theme of growing up in the same place, but in three different generations. The interviews were ordered so that the stories would be told in chronological order that they happened, meaning Ivy Bollans who grew up in the 1950s told her story first and Stella Benjamin who grew up in the 2000s told her story last. I think that having the interviews be in this order had a positive affect on the overall product, as it helped the pre-recorded radio segment make more sense narratively, and was more fluent in terms of what the audience were able to understand from it. If I were to improve something about the order that the interviews were, I would not change the order, but make it more obvious when each of the stories were taking place, so that the audience could not deny that the stories from the interviewees were told in chronological order.

In terms of the volumes and the sound levels of my pre-recorded radio segment, I would say that they were quite equal, in terms of the interviewees and the presenter's talking, I would not say that there is one person talking that is noticeably louder than the others. In terms of sound quality, I would say that some parts of some of the interviews are of better quality than the others as the microphone sounds closer to the interviewee for Stella Benjamin's interview than it was for the other two interviews which means that the sound was of a sharper quality for Stella Benjamin's interview than the other two interviews. To fix this, I would have to rerecord the interviews making sure that the microphone is the same distance away from the interviewee in all three interviews. Also, it has been noted that at the end of some of the interviews, the interviewee's voice has been drowned out by the music that is fading in. To fix this, I would either make the music fade in more gradually, or have the music fade in later. Finally, in terms of the sound quality, some of the sound effects are partially distorted by the wind, to fix this, I would rerecord the nature sounds making sure that the microphone is wearing a wind sock so that the sound of the wing will not disrupt the quality of the audio.

I think that I both successfully entertained and educated my audience. I entertained my audience through a combination of the music, and the interesting stories that the interviewees told. I think that the stories entertained my audience as they are nostalgic and will remind the listener of their own happy memories of childhood. I think that the music will entertain the audience as it is catchy, energetic, and fills the silence between the interviews so that the audience is always listening to something, which will stop the listener from being bored. I think that my pre-recorded radio segment has educated my audience through the way that it is unique in the stories and the locations that the stories are about. East London is not a place that gets very much positive representations in the media, therefore, if the listener is not from East London, it is unlikely that they would have heard stories of growing up there. This is how I have educated my audience as after listening to my pre-recorded radio segment, they will have a better insight into what it is like growing up in East London.

I would say that my own presenting style is very welcoming and friendly as my words are really enthusiastic and lively, however I would say that I was a little too distant from the audience as I am only heard at the beginning and the end of the radio segment. To improve this, I would introduce myself as that is not something that I did in my pre-recorded radio segment. "Hello, good-day, and welcome to this week's episode to the Locals' Guide to Brick Lane, my name is Emma, and I will be your host on today's show...". I think that by introducing myself, it will make me seam more relatable as a person, and a better radio presenter. Another thing that I think I could improve about my presenting style was the overly scripted way that I said my lines, as it did not sound like I was talking to people, but reading off a piece of paper. To improve this, I would not script my introduction and conclusion as heavily as I did next time.

I think that I was able to create a good atmosphere within my production through the sound effects that helped include the audience more in the stories and through the way that the interviewees were telling their stories comfortably, with ease. The sound effects helped emphasise the locations where the stories were based, this help create a more inclusive atmosphere as it helped the audience picture what it would be like to be in that location. This helped the listeners relate more to the stories that were being told, which is important when trying to create a successful radio product. I also think that the way that the interviewees were telling their stories calmly, and felt comfortable enough to share these stories helped the audience relate to the people, as it would have made the audience feel more included. Like the story was being told to them personally. This is important when creating a successful atmosphere in the radio segment as it is important not to alienate the audience, otherwise they will not want to listen to the pre-recorded radio segment again.

If I were to make the pre-recorded radio segment again, I would make improvements to the way that I as a presenter was not as relatable as I would have wanted. I would also make changes to the way that the music sometimes drowned out the interviewee's story at the end, as the end of the story is usually the most important part and to drown it out would disconnect the audience from the world that was just created so that they would not want to return to the product another time. It is important that the changes that I would make would be done to create a better listening experience for the audience, so that they would want to return and consume the product again, and again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

D1 SECOND SUBMISSION

Justify how the codes and conventions of the radio genre are embedded within the planned content.  In my pre-recorded radio segment, I ha...